Since the COVID-19 pandemic, Delta has made it easy to make changes to your airline ticket. In certain cases, your ticket may even be eligible for a refund. While refunds need to be requested, Delta is transparent with the process and even has a tool where you can track your refund status.
Are you eligible for a Delta refund?
Not all flights are eligible for a refund. One of the following must be true for you to request a refund with Delta:
- 24-Hour Risk-Free Cancellation – Delta lets you cancel your ticket and get a full refund for any reason within 24 hours of purchase.
- Your flight was changed or delayed – If you have been rebooked on a new flight or your original flight is going to be delayed for 120+ minutes, you can cancel and request a refund of the unused portion of your ticket.
- You booked a refundable ticket – If you booked a refundable ticket and your plans change, you can cancel and request a refund from Delta.
If your cancellation falls outside of these reasons, Delta usually offers a flight credit instead of a cash refund (this may vary for international flights).
Checking Your Refund Status with Delta
After you have canceled your ticket and requested a refund, you can check your refund status on Delta’s website.
- Visit the Check Refund Status page
- Enter the required information (First Name, Last Name, Ticket Number, Refund Request Number)
- Click Continue to see your refund status
Refunds usually take about 30 days to complete. Your refund status will be Pending during this time. Once it is approved, it can take up to 7 additional days for the refund to appear on your credit card statement. If you haven’t received a refund after this time, we recommend calling Delta at 1-800-847-0578.
Delta has one of the most liberal refund policies and processes of the big three airlines in the United States. They also make it easy to check your refund status through their simple-to-use form online. If your ticket is eligible for a full refund (either because it is within the 24-hour refund window or you booked a refundable ticket), you should see your refund processed within 7 days of making the request.