If you are a savvy travel enthusiast, you are constantly on the lookout for ways to save on your adventures. One of the most effective strategies to reduce travel expenses is with points and miles, which are key to affordable flights and luxurious hotel stays.
But what happens if you’re low on points and need a quick way to top off your account?
Well, you can buy them with a site called Points.com, a service that officially partners with top loyalty programs, including major airlines like…
- Air France
- Alaska Airlines
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts
- Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
- IHG Hotels & Resorts
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- United Airlines
Risks and Considerations
- Price Fluctuations: The cost of purchasing points and miles can vary, and it’s essential to compare prices carefully. Sometimes, loyalty programs offer promotions that make it more cost-effective to buy directly from them.
- Program Rules and Restrictions: Each loyalty program has its own terms and conditions regarding the purchase and use of points and miles. It’s crucial to understand these rules to avoid disappointment or losing your investment.
- Devaluation: Some loyalty programs may devalue their points or miles over time, reducing their worth. This can impact the overall value of the rewards you’ve purchased.
Is Points.com a scam?
You may be weary about buying points from a third party, but don’t worry. Points.com isn’t a scam, they are official partners with the airlines and hotels to sell points. While there are a few BBB complaints against the company, most have to do with the person’s card not working (a bank error) or points not posting fast enough (keep in mind it can take up to 72 hours for points to post).
I’ve personally used Points.com to top off my stash with Alaska Airlines and IHG Hotels. While I was hopeful they would post right away, it did take about 24 hours for me but they posted correctly, and I was able to complete my bookings as soon as they hit my accounts.
Here’s a screenshot of my Alaska Mileage Plan account, showing my Points.com purchase:
Tips for Maximizing Your Points Purchase
- Plan Ahead: Strategically buying points and miles for a specific trip or redemption can yield substantial savings. Research the loyalty programs and their award charts to determine the best options.
- Be Patient: Keep an eye out for promotions and discounts on Points.com or through loyalty programs themselves. Timing your purchases during these promotions can lead to significant cost savings.
- Stay Informed: Stay up-to-date with changes in loyalty program rules, as well as any devaluations or enhancements to their rewards systems.
Points.com is a legit company that allows travelers an easy way to buy points and miles with most major airlines and hotels. While buying points through Points.com can be expensive, remember that they offer promotions throughout the year which can unlock sizeable savings. If you are patient, play ahead, and stay informed, you can leverage Points.com to get you closer to your next memorable redemption. Remember that it can take up to 72 hours for your points to be posted to your loyalty account.
Have you used Points.com before? What was your experience? Leave a comment!