Having a reliable roadside assistance and travel protection plan is essential. The American Automobile Association (aka AAA) offers two popular membership tiers: AAA Plus and AAA Premier.
In this article, we will compare these two membership options, including pricing and benefits, to help you make an informed choice that suits your needs.
AAA Plus Membership
AAA Plus membership typically costs around $60 to $100 per year, depending on your location and any ongoing promotions. You can add family members to your plan for an extra fee, which varies by region.
Benefits & Features
- Towing: AAA Plus members are entitled to up to 100 miles of free towing per service call, which can be particularly useful on long road trips.
- Fuel Delivery: You will receive free fuel delivery in case you run out of gas (fuel cost not included).
- Battery Service: AAA Plus includes free jump starts and battery replacements (with additional costs for the battery itself).
- Trip Interruption Coverage: AAA Plus offers trip interruption coverage, reimbursing you for expenses like accommodations and meals if your trip is disrupted due to a covered emergency.
- Rental Car Discounts: Members can access discounts on rental cars through AAA’s partnerships with various rental agencies.
AAA Premier Membership
AAA Premier membership typically ranges from $80 to $150 per year, depending on your location and any current offers. Like AAA Plus, you can add family members to your plan for an extra fee.
Benefits & Features
- Towing: AAA Premier members enjoy up to 200 miles of free towing per service call, providing even more peace of mind on extended journeys.
- Fuel Delivery: Premier members receive free fuel delivery (fuel cost not included).
- Battery Service: AAA Premier includes free battery service, with the added benefit of a higher reimbursement limit for battery replacement.
- Trip Interruption Coverage: Premier membership includes enhanced trip interruption coverage, offering higher reimbursement limits and covering more expenses in case of travel disruptions.
- Travel Insurance: AAA Premier provides a more comprehensive travel insurance package, including coverage for trip cancellation, baggage loss, and medical emergencies during your travels.
- Passport Photos: You can get free passport photos at select AAA locations.
Is AAA Plus or AAA Premier Better?
Choosing between AAA Plus and AAA Premier depends on your specific needs and budget. If you take frequent long-distance trips or want more comprehensive travel insurance, AAA Premier is better since it offers a higher towing limit and insurance coverage. If you’re primarily interested in basic roadside assistance and occasional travel discounts, AAA Plus could be sufficient and more budget-friendly.
AAA Plus and AAA Premier memberships both offer valuable benefits for travelers and motorists. Your choice should be based on your requirements: budget-friendly roadside assistance, extended towing coverage, or comprehensive travel protection. Assess your needs and pick the membership that aligns best with your travel lifestyle. Regardless of your choice, both AAA Plus and AAA Premier memberships provide peace of mind and assistance when you need it most during your journeys. You can also consider coverage through your auto insurance company (like USAA’s roadside assistance).